Friday, January 8, 2010

A boy and his dog - The good things about a story with a sad ending

Today I learned that my dog has a grapefruit sized lump of an aggressive cancer and has 2-3 weeks of expected life before he will die uncomfortably. He's 11 1/2 and I have two young boys who know he's not feeling well but aren't aware that I am going to put him down on Tuesday.

Now you know the sad ending so let's get to the good things. My Golden Retriever named Rummy is still my favorite animal on the planet. He has been a loyal, trusted friend when others haven't. He has been my favorite hunting partner, making me look like a better hunter than I really am. He has been the defender of my home while I'm away, the protector of my kids and wife, the always eager, always excited playmate in the yard. He is more capable of giving unconditional love than anyone I've ever met. I love my dog and I will miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment