Monday, January 25, 2010

Why does daddy need such a big tv?


I'm not the guy that sits in front of the tv watching sports at night and weekends. In fact, I'm almost incapable of napping, sitting for more than 10 minutes at a time, or simply resting, enjoying or otherwise NOT doing something to improve my surroundings. I'm envious of those who are capable of these activities but at the same time, I'm glad I'm not them.

Although I am a guy who is fascinated by new tech, and likes when I'm an early adopter, I am also at times someone who will put off what I consider to be purely entertainment tech purchases. For example, televisions - flatscreen, HD. Oil that is. I purchased a new tv about 5 years ago for my basement which gets used (with the recent exception of the kids playing Wii), about once 1 month or less. I bought a 36" tube tv. The sucker weighs about 700 pounds. But it is sufficiently sized for the space and the picture is good. I'd rather be satisfied not knowing how much I'm missing with the latest and greatest and save a buck or several.

However, my 36" tube is not nearly as good as an LCD HD flatscreen. So when I got the email that I could purchase a 240Mhz 52" Sony Bravia through corporate channels for a mere $1,299, I jumped. Immediately.

Anyway, it was supposed to be delivered on Friday but wasn't. It still isn't here and daddy is getting irritated. I'm assured it will be here in time for the Super Bowl party we're hosting but it would have been nice to see the refs blown calls in HD during the Vikings loss to the Saints yesterday.

When my new toy arrives, I will take a picture and write about how awesome it is and probably why you should buy one. That is, if it fits in my small house.

Update: TV arrived about an hour ago - 8 days late. The good news is that it fits (barely). A bit oversized for my house but I'll make do. Like a cruel joke, the delivery guys says, "By the way, make sure you wait at least three hours before plugging it in so that it has time to acclimate to the temperature." It's kind of like when you have to go the the bathroom, the closer you get to a toilet, the worse you have to go.

2 comments:

  1. Stupid Man blog AdministratorJanuary 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

    My damned new tv is still not here. Although I didn't select the shipper, do NOT buy anything that will be shipped to you via PILOT. It was promised for last Friday January 21 and it is currently 9:30 PM on Thursday January 28. I didn't receive a call today indicating that it will be delivered tomorrow so at best, it will be Saturday January 31 - AT BEST! It's coming from Eagan, about 30 miles from where I live so I guess with rush hour traffic and all, I can understand why it would take a week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: My wife called the shipper today .She informed me that after a 3 minute scolding from some random guy on the other end of the phone, they informed her it would be delivered tomorrow between 10am and 2pm. I'll drop everything to be around when they call to say its on its way but it occurred to me that there is a good chance it will arrive damaged. I would seriously recommend avoiding hiring PILOT to ship anything and I'll let you know if any more problems occur.

    ReplyDelete