Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Installing hardwood floor in kitchen

Installing hardwood that matches up with our entry way and dining room. Extending it thoughout the kitchen and eating area. Removing the old floor is typically the hardest part of a job like this and is proving true this time as well. Despite my house being just 19 years old, there are two layers of vinyl down and both have a 1/4" subfloor that also needs to come up to match the height of the existing wood. Thus far I have spent about 7-8 hours removing the old floor. Almost broke my toe early this morning when a heavy piece of the old floor (roughly 4x4 of wood and inlaid vinyl) landed directly on my toe on the corner. I dropped immediately and screamed in pain, expecting blood to be soaking through my sock and shoe. No blood and it isn't broken but I did change footwear into steel toed boots. Second injury was a crow-bar kickback that flew up, missed my head yet hit my shoulder. "Tis but a scratch." Next up, scraped knuckles. Par for the course. And lastly (for today), jamed my thumb while ramming the crowbar under the vinyl. Feels like its broken but I can bend it at the knuckle. Thumbnail is creased in the middle from end to end and to tip end is black and purple. That started almost immediately. So sore to the touch that I can't even dial on my touch screen cell phone much less use my keyless entry remote. Can't wait for what tomorrow morning brings. Oh yea, about three or four different times I was in such awkward positions yanking and pulling up pieces of vinyl and wood that I keeled over in pain due to hurting my recently surgicaled back. Is surgicaled a word? Oh well, you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment